polilang - Learn Polish Online via Skype

http://polilang.co.uk offers:

- Online Polish Language Courses via Skype
- Professional Language Training
- One-to-One Lessons
- All Levels
- Polish For Children
- Polish For Business
- Certificates

Friday 23 April 2010

Another quiz



Here is a riddle:

I answer a phone and say: 
- "I'm listening, here Ewa.

I'm knocking on the door and I hear:
"Who there?"

I buy a newspaper or beer and I ask for it by saying:
"Please newspaper" or "Please beer"

I want my mother to help me with something. I should be polite so I say:
"Give me that", "Take this", "Don't do this".

Where am I?

Yes, I'm in Poland and yes I know it is a blog about Polish culture and language and that everyone knew that it would be another quiz about Poland... Can we please go to the answers?

When answering a phone in Poland you say: "Słucham" which literally means "I'm listening, but it really expresses that you are all ears and can listen to the person calling you".
"Kto tam" will allow you to check who knocked on your door.

In Poland you need just one word to say : "Can I have ..., please" - "Proszę....  "
So "Proszę gazetę" or "Proszę piwo" is a polite way of asking for a newspaper or a beer.

And finally in Poland putting "please" - "Proszę" at the end or start of sentences will just sound too formal when you talk to your family and friends. We use imperative instead. Saying it with a soft tone of voice makes it a request rather than an order.
"Daj mi to" - give me that, "Weź to" - take this, "Nie rób tego"- don't do this.


See you in class,
Ola

1 comment:

  1. I just encountered a Polish blog on your page and I think it is amazing providing adequate detail and information Polish language course

    ReplyDelete